Bay Leaves?

I have a bag of dried Indian Bay Leaves, I'm not sure what/how to use them? Can you drink them as tea? what are their benefits?

Comments

• Bay leaves are used in cooking. Mostly in tomato sauces or in some stews. I use them when making spaghetti sauce, and in beef stew.

Never EAT the bayleaf. Remove it after you have finished cooking the dish.

You do not make tea out of them.

You can also put a bayleaf, loose, in your kitchen cupboard. It will repel flour weevils and other insects that might get into the food you are storing. I have never tested this, but that is what I have been told.

• I've been putting a couple of bay leaves in all grain products for years, Everything from flour, cornmeal, grits, and baking mixes, to pastas --- spaghetti, macaroni, and noodles. I've never had a problem with weevils, or other bugs for that matter. I also scatter a few in the cupboards just as a backup.

For cooking, I usually make a bouquet garni by tying a couple of bay leaves, along with some herbs and/or spices, or pieces of carrot, onion, and celery in a piece of cheesecloth, which is easily removed when cooking is through.