photography?

whay is the best way to pursue a carreer in photography?

i know you can go to college but everything you learn in college i have on a cd.

and i know it..

help..

Comments

• The lab time in college is one of the most helpful ways to gain practical experience in addition to all the technical knowledge of a classroom. Plus, the social opportunities of working alongside other students and teachers can give you a better idea of how to proceed. There are also networking opportunities there that you cannot get on a CD. These people will also provide your with the constructive criticism that is CRUCIAL to telling you if you are on the right track. If you only surround yourself with people who don't understand technically what you are doing, you might just get a bunch of generic "you're a great photographer" comments, which can contribute to self-delusion. These people are not qualified to give you technical feedback, so you shouldn't expect it from them. On the other hand, fellow photography students and teachers help you stay grounded in reality and can give you precise feedback on how to improve your skills.

After a class, it is also helpful to maintain contact with a core of fellow photographer students so that you can go on photo trips together...it is also safer this way. Again, networking.

• Well, I've never started a career in photography, but I imagine the best way to get started without formal schooling is to get an internship or something and work with a professional photographer to learn more... start practicing A LOT, meet with other photographers and analyze each others' work.. just get in some experience and try to make a name for yourself. Build a portfolio, get some business cards going to make you look more professional.. take some pictures for some people and have them name-drop, or give them cards to give out... Just get your name out there.

• Maybe you can find a local photographer and tell them that your choosing a career in photography and would they be willing to teach you in exchange that you work for them a few hours a week.